Tuesday, June 30, 2009

RE: Kishore's project

Hi Kishore,

Thanks for replying to my advice, I will hopefully answer your questions :)
I am glad you already know how to use passes, that is useful to know for future posts.

When I wrote animate the light in comp I actually meant animate the colour and intensity not the motion of the light (that will teach me to be more specific :) ). The colour and intensity of your fill, rim and key light are probably going to change throughout the seasons for you to achieve the moods you want (and a nice smooth transition), this is what I was trying to demonstrate. I am glad you are planning on working in one scene and doing lots of comp work, I think this will get you the best results.

In the example I gave, I only rendered a sequence for the key light pass as I animated the position of the light in 3d (to save time I used a still camera and I only rendered 60 frames of the light moving up and then mirroring it so the light looks like it is moving up and down). Unfortunately in your project your camera is continually moving so you would have to render a sequence for all passes.

In fact lighting can be done in 2d (and therefore animated) but it would involve a complex relight lighting node (you might have to program it yourself) which uses the normals pass to simulate a light when you give it world space values for the light location.
If your interested you might want to try out a plugin for Nuke I found:
http://www.vfxtalk.com/forum/3d-relighting-plugins-nuke-t11037.html
My experience of using relight nodes is that they can give you inaccurate results (and I have never tried animating one) so I wouldn't recommend it but its useful to know it is out there as it may become more widely used in the future.

Hope my posts continue to be useful to the group. Look forward to seeing tests.

Tessa

No comments:

Post a Comment