Thursday, June 25, 2009

Jamie's Project!

Hi Tessa,

Just thought I would introduce my project, and my thoughts on how I would like it to be lit.

I read your post to Lies, some really nice tips in there thanks.

I am doing a modelling project based on an important moment in Scottish history. I am modelling a horseback clash between King Robert the Bruce and English knight Sir Henry De Bohun at the battle of Bannockburn 1314. The king, unprepared and armed only with a hand axe foolishly stood up to a change from the heavily armed de Bohun on the eve of the main battle. Bruce dodged the lance attack and struck a killing blow with his axe, snapping its handle in two. This unlikely triumph ultimately proved to be a symbol of the Scottish spirit, as the following day led by their king they emerged victorious even though they were outnumberred by 3 to 1.

I am modelling the two horses and men posed moments after the killing blow has been struck.

Here is my original concept:


This is where I am with the modelling at the moment:



I've been doing a rethink of the overall forms and it will look something more along the lines of these 2 sketches when it is done hopefully:




From the early stages of forming this idea I decided to use Image based lighting taken from the battle scene itself as I really love the idea of bringing some part of the environment into the CG scene. I visited Bannockburn during the preproduction phase of the project and will return in 2 weeks to take the light information I need using a light probe sphere.

As far as records show, the incident took place in the summer and in daylight. I want to be true to this but I'm a bit concerned that a bright evenly lit scene could lack the drama that I wish to portay. I was wonderring how I could use this Light information form the battle scene in a creative way. I havent really got a lot of lighting experience and was wonderring if it's common practice to use other light sources as well as environment lights. For example one of my thoughts was to use final gather with the environment dome and add some grids/planes with constant shaders to add tints and enhance certain areas. Is this a good way of working or should I edit the Image I am using as the environment light if I want to change things like overall colour or time of day?

Ok think I have waffled on enough. I hope I've made myself clear, if not just let me know.

Thanks for reading and having a look, any advice at all will be greatly appreciated.

Jamie

No comments:

Post a Comment