Friday, July 24, 2009

Re: Yoli's Project Update

Hi Tessa

Apologies for the delayed response -I've been neck deep in animation and still have a way to go.

Having considered your comments (and those of other tutors) on bringing my 2D style into 3D with projected textures and toon shaders, I realised that, although I do like this effect(eg. your painted example), it was never my intention for this piece to have a 2D final look. I more wanted to mix up a 2D approach to design with 3D and I now realise how ambitious this is.

So I began to look at 2D style brought successfully into 3D (see mood board) - thanks for The Pearce Sisters reccommendation by the way.


I particularly loved the tactile look of Lost and Found and Stitch up Showdown so I experimented in comp with what I could achieve to this effect. I strengthened the key light slightly, saturated the foreground and desaturated the background (see below).


I really liked your suggestion to bring sharp lines into the composition (easily achieved with the chair), but in terms of colour and texture I was still unsure which way to go.

Wanting to achieve more of a sense of contrast, I experimented with some new colour schemes such as blue and yellow for the skin and hair. Making the foreground bolder in colour, I tested a distressed wallpaper background, including a plainer section, but found this to produce a yet softer effect.

Below are some of these tests and my thoughts, which are quite rough and I think represent a bit of a step back (before foreward hopefully) in the look development. Only the final example has any real contrast, thanks to the textures against white but I am wary of using a plain white background as I realise this has become something of a CG cliche.

Any suggestions please let me know

Thanks again for your time

All best,

Yoli

No comments:

Post a Comment