Sunday, July 26, 2009

RE: Nigel Gore Architectural take 2

Hi Nigel,

I can quickly answer your questions. You would be surprised what you can do in 4 weeks. light and composite : 5 high quality film shots, 2 adverts for national television, 30-40 shots on a childrens TV show (this is an example of what I have managed to do since I graduated) I can only give you my opinion, and that would be to keep it simple and get it right. You are stressed because you have set yourself a tough goal. It takes time to learn this job, so don't be too hard on yourself. Cut down your workload and show off your best work rather than rushing to get everything done in time. Remember your initial brief "The emphasis of my project will be on realistic, high quality images"

Unfortunately your reference does not have the same lighting, the sunlight does not come into the room. That makes a huge difference, you have no Key light, only bounced light, the only key light you can see is outside. If this is the lighting you want, all of your shadows inside should be soft, and there should be lots of reflection occlusion. I recommend you make this ammendment to your lighting if this is the look you are going for. Trying to mix 2 types of lighting is probably why your image is looking a little confused. Read Jamie's older posts to see why I wouldn't use FG and Occlusion. Also I painted over your image on a separate layer in photoshop and made it overlay.

As for the blue tint on the floor (or if you ammend your lighting there will be no key light on the floor), you can easily do this in post with a roto, it doesn't need to be in 3d, so there is no problem rendering your glass or reflections on a separate pass. Yes you are right that you can see some reflections in the glass when there are darker objects behind it, but you do not have darker objects behind your glass because it is in full sunlight. Render the outside glass on a separate layer to fix your problem. You think your reflections will be stimulating, I think they will be distracting and unrealistic. Believe me when I say that potential employers will not look at the reflections and say... 'wow, reflections'.... instead they will say, 'ok, they know how to turn on reflections'.

I do understand the strain you are under, and I hope you realise that I only want to help you to get the best out of your lighting. I am passionate about this subject, and I have put real thought into each and every reply, so that you guys get to experience an industry point of view. Hope this helps. Cheers ,

Tessa

No comments:

Post a Comment