Thursday, August 6, 2009

Jamie first Comp

Hi Tessa,

As there has been some discussion of Godrays I thought I had better post!


I decided to do a trial comp of one of my shots emphasising nostalgia and glory. I couldn't resist the godrays and actually quite like the result, I think with the theme of my project (the king rising to the challenging opponent and emerging victorious) it is an occasion where I think I can get away with it. I will be careful not to overdo it though and probably only use these effects on the shot where my narration tells of the heroism and resulting victory.

Oh, and I made the decision to move away from Final gather. All the reflection information I liked from the battlefield photos I took are being cast by a hidden constant dome now, and the soft indoor feel that i was getting just felt inappropriate and I decided to use lights instead. It just felt generally more appropriate and render times are obviously much better too.

Here's a render of the actual lighting without the volume effect, so any improvements you could suggest here would be great. I'm having a slight issue with getting my shadow pass out of xsi so I wasn't able to mask the occlusion within the shadows yet as you suggested earlier.


It has painterly romantic feel I think, which I'm quite comfortable with but I still have the option of cooling everything down and using more cool 'Scottish' colours. I did a few tests of how this approach may look. I still think I prefer the overly dramatic top picture, it has an almost fantasy over the top feel which I like.


Anyway, any thoughts you may have will be really helpful at this stage as there is still a bit of time to implement changes.

Thanks Tessa,

Jamie.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jamie,
    I will get around to your post soon, just working on holly's reply at the moment, but I thought I would give you a quick reply. Your first image with the godrays is by far my favourite, it's the perfect opportunity to use them . You should be proud of yourself, its looking fantastic.... (No doubt I will have comments though :) ) Cheers
    Tessa

    ReplyDelete